Belmont High School History
As early as 1950, the population growth in the southeastern part of Dayton made the need for increased high school accommodations there apparent to the community and to the Board of Education.
On May 8, 1952, the Board of Education approved the purchase from Herman Matheny of 10.37 acres for $35,000 to complete the site, a specail act of the state legislature was requird, since some state property was involved. Two parcels of land totaling about seven acres were purchased July 2, 1953, from the City of Dayton for $16,000.
Considering the immediate need for other schools in the city, the Board decided to put up a school large enough for the number of pupils foreseen in the next few years, but with fixed facilities for future expansion.
The architectural firm of Hart, Ingleburger, Wurst & Associates, known as Hart & Hart, was appointed January 19, 1953 to prepare preliminary plans. After the site was assured, they were authorized August 27, 1953, to go ahead with final plans and specifications.
The cornerstone was laid May 12, 1955 with Mrs Ecelyn List and Mr Robert E. Kline, members of the Board of Education, officiating.
School opened September 10, 1956, for 892 students in grades eight through eleven. No seniors were enrolled at Belmont that year, as they were permitted to graduate from the high school they had been attending. The district was composed of areas formerly served by Belmont Elementary School, Stivers and Wilbur Wright. With an alert and efficient corps of teachers, a full program of activities was immediately started. Athletic teams, band, orchestra, dramatic groups, and all other normal high school functions are well under way.
The first meeting of the Belmont High School Parent – Teacher Association was held on October 17, 1956 in the school auditorium. Six hundred and nine parents and teachers became charter members of the Association that night.
The first panel of officers were elected as follows:
Mrs H. Edward James President
Robert Wade 1st Vice President
Neil Reston 2nd Vice President
Mrs Keith Wilson Recording Secretary
Mrs W. Woodman Corresponding Secretary
Earl Singer Treasurer
Mrs Albert Reinickle Council Delegate
October 31, 1956 the date that Belmont High School was dedicated to the Dayton community, is a date that will long be remembered by the students of Belmont. The dedication service began at 7:30 PM in the school’s auditorium and lasted approximately forty five minutes. The High School Choir and Band performed for a crowd of two thousand people. Mr Conkling, director of Belmont’s band, directed three songs: “Fete Triumphal”, “Waves of the Danube” and “The Gypsy Baron”. The Program ended with the Belmont Choir singing the Belmont High School Alma Mater.
Facts About Belmont High School
Located at 2323 Mapleview Avenue, Dayton, Ohio
Cornerstone laid May 12, 1955
Belmont opened September 10, 1956 for 892 students in grade 8th – 11th
Colors – Columbia Blue, Cardinal Red trim in White
Nickname – Bison
Mascot – Bucky Bison
Motto – Pride, Stamina and Spirit
Watchwords – Putting Students First, One Student at a Time
School Flower – Candy Stripe Carnation
School Tree – Red Maple
First Graduating Class, the Class of 1958, Number of Graduates, 162
First Touchdown scored by Thomas Umina Class of 1959
First Homecoming Queen – Sandy Lee Conner Class of 1959
First Prom – Sayonara May 30, 1958 – Queen – Mary Kelly King Thomas Coffing
Belmont H.S. was the first High School ever awared a grant in the United States.